Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:40:04 -0400

Re: PLUG - The Happy Fun List! - [Was: Re: [PLUG] KDE 3.0...is slow]

On Friday 04 October 2002 09:55 am, James Patrick Dugan wrote:
> Correct me if i am wrong but wasn't email originally specified as
> text only (like in an rfc or standard)?  It wasn't until MS pushed
> html with its email clients that we had HTML emails (and the
> associated problems)?

No.  Formatted microsoft email was originally RTF.  Netscape pioneered
HTML mail in their first "Communicator" version (3.something).  MS then
dropped RTF and adopted HTML.  The "associated problems" came about
when microsoft enabled Outlook to use embedded jscript and vbscript in
html formatted mails.  Other than unnecessary bandwith use, and
confusing, and sometimes ugly formatting, plain html doesn't have the
"associated problems" (assuming you mean the automatic execution of
code on the recipient's computer).  The other problems come with
malicious attachments which can come with plain text messages as well.