gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:40:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] list by owner

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 03:07:05PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> I'm impressed anyway.  8^)  I usually cheat with "find" and type "find
> *|grep something" but that wouldn't do what I wanted.  Your find command
> does work (without the dash).

find(1) and, to an even greater extent, GNU find is a tremendously
useful tool that anyone serious about Unix file system use should
get to know. It'll save you no end of time in the long run.

What it *can't* do is content searches (the way that Apple's
Sherlock or MS's whatever-in-Explorer can) which is definitely a
limitation, but one that's not totally insurmountable. Say you're
looking for a shell script, but haven't a clue where on that 2 TB
SAN partition you left it, and also haven't a clue what it's called.
(Say, perhaps, that a previous admin wrote it, pointed it out to you
in passing, but you didn't take notes on the details. Ahem, Barry.)

You're sure it's either a Perl script or a /bin/sh script, and
you're sure it calls GNU tar as gtar somewhere inside. If you're me,
you'd do something like this (forgive me typos, I'm not testing it):

  find /foo -type f \( -name \*.sh -o -name \*.pl \) \
    -exec echo {} \&\& grep -C gtar {} > /tmp/found

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net