Paul on Fri, 11 Oct 2002 08:50:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

A nice introduction is at

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/50/index2a.html

Good article.

I have a page that *almost* validates between HTML 4.01 Transitional and XHTML 1.0 Transitional. The problem is that HTML *prohibits* end tags for "link" and "meta" while XHMTL *requires* end tags for everything.

I like the rules that XHTML enforces while remaining compatible with HTML. IE-only pages that are ill formed will fail miserably! In the future I think I will start by validating against XHTML then do a final check against the HTML validator. Any compromise will be in favor of HTML.

I always fail the "strict" test.  8^)