Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:30:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

On Thursday 10 October 2002 07:10 pm, Bob Schwier wrote:
> I have had the problem of having to access sites to get help with a
> primitive machine because of the failure of my main machine.  It is
> especially angering when the website with the information and drivers
> to fix the more advanced machine is a pain to access or entirely
> unaccessable with the lesser machine.

It's amazing how complicated some web sites make a download when a
simple <a href="http//:... or <a href="ftp://... does a fine job.

The craziest I have seen is MS' office templates site.  Instead of
downloading the template, the site tries to fire up word and send the
data there.  You do your local save from word.  That effectively
prevents non-winword users from getting the templates that would be
usable in Abiword, OpenOffice, or even windows WordPerfect.