Eric S. Raymond on Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:10:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

> On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Paul wrote:
> > How many standards are no longer in use because they failed to evolve
> > beyond their orginal design?  HTML 4 came from HTML 3.  It could only
> > help to have a site that works with older or "alternative" browsers and
> > that also has traits of an evolving standard.  (Basically, you can watch
> > the movie, but it's better with the 3-D glasses kind of thing.)
> >
> > I'm curious about people's opinions on XHTML.

I converted almost my entire site to pure validated XHTML a few months ago
(except for the Jargon File, and that's coming soon).  I've had no
complaints, so it appears the stuff is quite viewable by older browsers.