Rahul Karnik on Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:10:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Using iptables instead of my wireless router firewall

Greg,

Couple of points...

> Right now, I don't have any computers connected wirelessly, just the local
> machine (running Windows 98) connected directly to the LAN port of the
> hub.  When I try to ping the outside world, www.yahoo.com for example,
> nothing happens.

This could just be a DNS problem, rather than a connectivity issue. Try
pinging a known good IP address instead. If it works, then make sure that
the Windows 98 machine has the correct DNS setup and the firewall is
allowing DNS packets through.

> Here are some assumptions and quandaries.  The firewall should be
> connected to the WAN port of the wireless, right.  There shouldn't be much
> difference between using the firewall instead of the DSL modem, or is
> there?  My thoughts are functionally they should be very similar.

There is definitely a difference between a DSL modem and your firewall --
the modem should be upstream of your firewall. If you meant the DSL/wireless
*router*, you are correct.

> It looks like the wireless router wants an IP address, gateway,and subnet
> mask.  I have been supplying my static IP address for the first two fields
> and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

The gateway should probably be the IP for your firewall machine.

Finally, you may have to install PPPoE software on your firewall machine to
set up the DSL connection.

-Rahul