epike on Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:20:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Using iptables instead of my wireless router firewall

hi

if memory servers:

>     ____________
>    |            |
>    +  Firewall  +
>    |            |
>     ____________

first of all make sure the both ethernet interfaces
work (eth0 and eth1 ?).  ping your ISP's gateway
to make sure it connects to the outside world,
do some surfing on the firewall/linux box, etc.

assign an address to the LAN side of your
firewall , lets say 192.168.10.1 -- this will
serve as your LAN's gateway address (not the one from
the ISP)!

> Right now, I don't have any computers connected wirelessly, just the local
> machine (running Windows 98) connected directly to the LAN port of the
> hub.  When I try to ping the outside world, www.yahoo.com for example,
> nothing happens.

assuming everything is connected correctly, try to ping the
firewall's LAN side first to see if your wireless router
is routing correctly.

> Here are some assumptions and quandaries.  The firewall should be
> connected to the WAN port of the wireless, right.

ok..

> It looks like the wireless router wants an IP address, gateway,and subnet
> mask.  I have been supplying my static IP address for the first two fields
> and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

on the wireless router,
set the gateway to the firewall/linux's LAN ethernet.
Set DNS to the real DNS (your isp's).

enable IP Masquerading on the firewall/linux, and
fix routing there also.  You will want to make sure
that the wireless router's addresses is "reachable"
from the side of the linux, for example, if the
lan side of your linux is 192.168.10.1 , and the
WAN side or your wireless is 192.168.10.2 and you've
selected the LAN side of the wireless to the
192.168.1.0 address range, you will  want
to add routing so that segment "192.168.1.0" will be
reachable thru 192.168.10.2... (many linux configution
screens will do this, look for the ones about routing)

hope it helps (apologies for being too general,
its been a while..)

But..why?? i bought the wirless router to do exactly
the reverse (consumes less lectricity,  easier to
manage, wont take the network down if server is down
for maintenance, etc)..

e pike