Greg Apessos on Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:40:05 -0400

[PLUG] Using iptables instead of my wireless router firewall

Hello,
   I've been on this group for a little while now, and I thought I would
finally say hi and ask for some guidance.  I have recently acquired a
BEFW11S4 wireless router and four port hub and I didn't want to use its
built in firewall.  Unfortunately, I am having problems finding
instructions on how to do this.

Basically the setup would be: (and i also wanted to draw boxes!)

    ____________
   |            |
   +  Internet  +
   |            |
    ____________

    ____________
   |            |
   +  Firewall  +
   |            |
    ____________

    ____________                              _____________
   |            |   ^  (antenna)        ^    |             |
   +  Wireless  +--/ \                 / \---+  Remote     +
   |   Router   |                            |    Machine  |
    ____________                              _____________
       | | | |
       x | x x  (Hub)

    ____________
   |            |
   + Local      +
   |   Machine  |
    ____________

Not that it's much, but ascii drawing is a lost art.  Anyway, i'm dealing
with a lot of new information and I was just hoping for some help,
clarification, etc.

Right now, I don't have any computers connected wirelessly, just the local
machine (running Windows 98) connected directly to the LAN port of the
hub.  When I try to ping the outside world, www.yahoo.com for example,
nothing happens.

Here are some assumptions and quandaries.  The firewall should be
connected to the WAN port of the wireless, right.  There shouldn't be much
difference between using the firewall instead of the DSL modem, or is
there?  My thoughts are functionally they should be very similar.

It looks like the wireless router wants an IP address, gateway,and subnet
mask.  I have been supplying my static IP address for the first two fields
and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Hmmmmm, maybe I should enable logs on iptables to verify that nothing is
coming through from the wireless router.  My firewall could be blocking
it, although i thought i took that into account.  Ha, I'm still trying
to figure it out.  But I would love suggestions!  Especially if I am
overlooking something blazingly simple.  =)

								-Greg