Rob Reilly on Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:40:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] CD burner suggestions

Michael Lazin wrote:

I would like to get an external USB cd burner to use with my desktop (Running Mac OSX) and with my laptop (running Mandrake Linux 8.2.)  Does anyone have any suggestions of burners which work well with both these OS's (Or even just linux)

I've had good luck with the Iomega Zip 650 CD.  It's an external USB CD RW device.  I use CD-Roast under SuSE Linux 7.3 Pro.  I can burn at 4x.
If you use a 2.4 kernel, USB and hotplugging support, the burner will be recognized when you plug in the USB cable.  CD-Roast will mount the drive for you.  Use "mount /dev/sr0 /cddirwhatever" to mount it manually.  I think Iomega has a new slim design out now.  I think I remember that mine worked with Windoughs and the Mac also (not sure).

Rob

--
Rob Reilly