Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:10:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

> On Thursday 10 October 2002 10:00 am, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > Then you start in with browser detects.
>
> You haven't been clear about why you think browser detects are bad.

I think that Gabriel has been abundently clear. I was on the fence until
he explained it.

> I get the impression that those who do not like graphical web sites
> don't want anyone else to see them either.

No, I don't feel that way at all. This is quite wrong, thank-you.

> My perspective is this.  Linux is more broadly accepted as a server
> than as a workstation OS.  I'd like to see more acceptance of the Linux
> Workstation.  That means attracting a broader community.  That also
> means dispelling the myth that Linux is only for technically absorbed
> philistines.

Now that you've called me names, I totally agree w/ you.

> Form coexists with substance; it need not preempt it.  The beauty of a
> database driven, CMS based site is that form is separated from
> substance so that everyone gets the same substance in a form that
> appeals to them the most.

I thought that's what a browser was supposed to do w/ plain html.

> I've read mention that "text only version" links (which I have not seen
> anyone suggest) render lynx users and such "second class citizens", but
> what I am really seeing advanced is a "my way or the highway" approach.

Well, you are quite wrong about that. In fact, I see that way proposed by
the other side. There was a remark that attacked lynx users. I never
atatacked anyone. I never called names. I never said a redesign was a bad
idea. I asked why were lynx users attacked. This was never addressed
again. I asked what's wrong w/ cvs. Never addressed. I asked why were
people who were happy w/ Draxus' work being labeled as "resisters". Never
addressed.

I have no strong opinions about the web site. I was just wondering why
insults were necessary to prove a point. I thought it would be better to
outline all the advantages of the change: there must be many. I figured
that objections would be answered in a reasonable way. Instead ad hominem
attacks were made.

I wasn't so upset by the changes, and I'm grateful to the volunteers, but
I didn't like the tone of the disussion when legitate remarks were made.

Fred