Arthur S. Alexion on Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:20:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

On Thursday 10 October 2002 10:00 am, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Then you start in with browser detects.

You haven't been clear about why you think browser detects are bad.

I get the impression that those who do not like graphical web sites
don't want anyone else to see them either.

My perspective is this.  Linux is more broadly accepted as a server
than as a workstation OS.  I'd like to see more acceptance of the Linux
Workstation.  That means attracting a broader community.  That also
means dispelling the myth that Linux is only for technically absorbed
philistines.

Form coexists with substance; it need not preempt it.  The beauty of a
database driven, CMS based site is that form is separated from
substance so that everyone gets the same substance in a form that
appeals to them the most.

I've read mention that "text only version" links (which I have not seen
anyone suggest) render lynx users and such "second class citizens", but
what I am really seeing advanced is a "my way or the highway" approach.

My understanding is that the purpose of PLUG, and by extension, its web
site, is "the promotion of Linux and Open Source Software", and that it
is not just a forum for "preaching to the choir".  For me, that means a
web site that _attracts_ and _interests_ the general audience so as to
promote to them the value of Linux and OSS.