Paul on Wed, 9 Oct 2002 23:40:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

And valid HTML will render correctly in all of those. Where, once
again, is the problem with the existing site?

I agree with sticking to some standards. That said, what *is* valid HTML? I test my code against w3c's 4.01 transitional validator. That means my code is valid according to their recommendations, but what make their recommendations a standard? (That is only a question, though it sounds like a statement.)

I've been thinking about how Internet Explorer has a few extensions that other browsers don't support. Is that bad? The answer that I came up with is that it is not bad as long as it doesn't cause a failure when using another browser. If the extensions are worth anything they might become part of the standard. Until then we could test the code against a known set of recommendations and/or do our own testing with different browsers to see what actually works and what doesn't work.

Once or twice I had to use some code that the validator didn't like to make something work, and it worked in a variety of browsers.