Arthur S. Alexion on Wed, 9 Oct 2002 19:50:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 05:29 pm, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> Didn't someone all ready say why this is a bad idea? Why code to each
> and every browser or put up a nasty link telling people to go away
> until they can get a newer browser? HTML is designed to degrade
> gracefully when the standards are adhered to. This is a PLUG mailing
> list so
> I think that linux should be the target audience. Some of us use lynx
> some of us use dillo.

But some of us use Linux Mozilla, and I read posts from Linux Netscape
users.  Then, there are those who want to check the organization out
because they want to try Linux for the first time who might use........
I.E.!  I found the organization from the website.  I think the site
should be attractive in the most litteral sense.

Moreover, a CMS solution doesn't require you to create a site for each
browser, just a template, used on multiple pages, which presents the
same data to each visitor, in a format that is designed for the browser
they happen to be using at the time.  There are not "text only" links,
nor links that tell people to go away until they get a new browser.  As
a visitor, you shouldn't even know that the site looks any different to
any other browser.

> >  > I don't understand the resistance.
>
> As most people seem to be happy w/ the website (hence the resistence)
> I think that it's incumbent on those who wish to make changes to
> prove why this is overwhelmingly beneficial. Otherwise, stick to
> what's there, adding to it, instead of pulling a major overhaul.
> What's the motivation behind this overhaul, anyway?

Well, seems you have a volunteer -- someone willing to do it
thanklessly -- who is interested in making the work something he can be
proud of, rather than toiling away, with more criticism than praise, at
a work which belongs to someone else, and doesn't interest him.

I see this a lot with site designers.  Design a site exactly the way
you want it, then get upset when the "maintainer" exercises artistic
perogative.  It's hard enough to get paid to upkeep someone else's
design, but to volunteer.....

> I'm lost at why
> this is such a big deal. It's not a rewrite which was called for, but
> "maintenance". Maintenance implies that things are left pretty much
> as they are, fixing things that really need to be fixed.

See preceeding paragraph.