Paul on Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:50:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

My understanding was that you either need an end tag or end within the tag. For example, both of the following are valid:

<hr></hr>
<hr/>

One very small detail is that you need a space before the slash.  <hr />

Using either /> or </link> works as far as XHTML is concerned, but HTML won't accept it. HTML prohibits end tags in link and meta tags. There might be a work-around, but the closing tags are not it.

XHTML is probably still one of the biggest current non-standards where actual browser implementations are concerned. Haven't done any XHTML validation, though.

Validating against XHTML is nice. There are only a few minor differences compared to the HTML validator. Here's a short list.

All tags are case sensitive and must be typed in lower case.

Values need to have quotes around them.

Um...there's not much to it since I'm talking about "Transitional" XHTML. Validating against strict HTML or XHTML is almost imposible for me because I don't want to accept the restrictions. For example, I don't always want to mess with Cascading Style Sheets just to change font size or color. The technology behind Web pages is becoming more powerful and flexible, but a the same time more difficult and stongly typed. Better and worse.