Benjamin W. Dugan on Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:00:05 -0400

[PLUG] a to b slow, c to b fast

At our office we have about a half dozen linux PCs networked together.
Things are generally working well, and I try to keep making incremental
improvements to the setup so it gets better and better.  I do love
linux.  The system would undoubtedly be better if I wasn't the one
maintaining it, but I am.

So my question is: why is it that (as one example) it takes 2 minutes to
get the "login:" prompt when I telnet from one PC (call it "a") to
another ("b"), compared to a fraction of a second if I telnet from a
different one ("c") to "b"?  In shorthand: a to b is slow, but c to b is
fast.

I see this same behavior with other network services-- ftp and networked
printing at least, and there may be others.

Do I need to do something with resolv.conf on one of the computers?

If this question is in appropriate for this list, I'm sorry to have
raised it.  And I'd be happy to look in the appropriate HOWTO or man
page but I'm a bit at a loss as to which one to start with.

Thanks in advance.

Ben Dugan