Jeyes, David (371) on Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:50:04 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Using iptables instead of my wireless router firewall

Title: RE: [PLUG] Using iptables instead of my wireless router firewall

> From: Greg Apessos
> Hello,
>    I've been on this group for a little while now, and I
> thought I would
> finally say hi and ask for some guidance.  I have recently acquired a
> BEFW11S4 wireless router and four port hub and I didn't want
> to use its
> built in firewall.

Why not use both?

> Unfortunately, I am having problems finding
> instructions on how to do this.

Welcome Greg. This sparks a lot of questions as there are a number of possible points of failure (the internet coming into the wall, the access via dsl, or the iptables firewall, the internal connection from the firewall to the router and the router to the clients). If you've started, you need to isolate where the connectivity stops. How far are you into this process? What are your environmental variables, i.e: type of dsl (for ppoe or need of dsl modem), what distro of linux (and can you see the web from it?), how are you laying out the ip addressing scheme. All of these things will help us to help you.

Hey cool!- I have the exact same setup- hardware and everything!. It started with just the iptables firewall and I just configured the wireless router a few weeks ago. I suggest you do it in the same order.

Hope this helps!
dj