multiple seriousity on Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:30:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] which image transfer format?

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 news@kippona.com wrote:
> Given the choice of bitmap and jpeg formats for archiving images
> captured with a digital camera, which is better for a linux user?
> I'm the user, and I'm not experienced with digital images beyond
> rudimentary gimp, xfig, and xv.

Something people haven't yet asked is...

What is your purpose?  What is your equipment?  What is your current
software?

in other words, one might archive a digital security system differently
than one archives personal snapshots or hotsexylinuxpenguinwebcam.com

Speaking as a photographer, I would archive in as close to whatever format
they are initially created in.  My digital camera creates .jpg's, I don't
know about yours... I shoot all my images or at least MOST of them, in the
maximum resolution and best quality that the camera allows me to.  I
download the images off the card/camera... and then that is the pure
form.. after choosing which ones to keep, you should probably just choose
to archive the images you get directly off the camera, as they come off
the camera.  If you try manipulation, re-saving them, etc.. you may inject
further degredation in quality (say, by accidentally re-saving in a
program that is set to compress the jpg to 75% or so quality [i.e. it will
keep compressing to 75% from the previous save.] Always check when working
with image manipulation that it is set to 100% unless you WANT to compress
the image, you don't want to add additional lossy compression when you
don't want to.. say, when you are just cropping or flipping an image.) Then,
once you have your 'archive' of the pure files you wish to save, you can
go and do things like flipping, cropping, etc. to create your 'best'
archive.  Sometimes I do flip or rotate an image before plopping it into
the initial archive, but that's about it.   Then, of course, you can save
to multiple CD-r's or other backup media, besides your HD.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org