gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:11:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Maybe OT - "Supported" Unix on Intel CPUs?

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:50:17PM -0400, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> I know that Paul does use BSD/OS and FreeBSD on various
> servers he runs, and perhaps at one time "F" ran BSD/OS, but
> currently, and for at least the past few years, it has been
> a pair of Alphas running Tru64
>
> but, I do believe that both "K" and "M" run BSD/OS
> and "D" runs FreeBSD

Whoops, yep, you're right. Been a while since I actually *looked* at
these things...

> uhm, that page makes some good points, but it is rather dated.
> (are there people still unsure whether they should get a
> pentium instead of a 486?)

Aww, details.

The parts that are still useful are the vendor references and the
general principles about what you do and don't need in a server-
class machine. (Hrm. The disk speed and throughput numbers should
definitely be taken with a grain of salt too...)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net