Jeff Weisberg on Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:52:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Maybe OT - "Supported" Unix on Intel CPUs?

| It really shocks me that intelligent people have just never heard of
| BSD/OS.
|
| And yet, they use it, somewhat indirectly, thousands of times daily.
| Like, say, every time they do a DNS lookup. (Hint:
| f.root-servers.net runs BSD/OS.)

I know that Paul does use BSD/OS and FreeBSD on various
servers he runs, and perhaps at one time "F" ran BSD/OS, but
currently, and for at least the past few years, it has been
a pair of Alphas running Tru64

but, I do believe that both "K" and "M" run BSD/OS
and "D" runs FreeBSD

| See http://www.vix.com/vix/pc-hw/bsd-os-hwconfig.html for Paul
| Vixies (very good) suggestions on hardware. (Actually, that page
| applies no matter what Unix-like OS you're running on IA32
| hardware.)

uhm, that page makes some good points, but it is rather dated.
(are there people still unsure whether they should get a
pentium instead of a 486?)

	--jeff

see also:
	http://www.isc.org/services/public/F-root-server.html