W. Chris Shank on Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:39:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

I agree to some extent. Once a license is bought and paid for - there
isn't much savings in switching. However, if a business needs to add
network capacity of some kind, then linux can be a pretty big savings.
($server cost + $windows license + $CAL's for X clients + $setup and
config = several $K). So I expect to be maintaining windows networks as
they transition to linux. Also - many of my clients aren't using much more
than Office and browser. These users are easy pickings for a linux desktop
- would think. However, I haven't deployed a linux desktop into production
yet. There is interest in a Linux server for windows clients. Actually,
it's more like interest in a "cheaper, more stable server than Windows
with familiar Windows clients."

I know the business opportunity is there. But I also know that it will
take the effort of the Linux community also.