lists on Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:00:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Apache 2.x Authentication No Work

You're probably right.  I wish this sh*t was worked out before release.  I'm good with version 1.3.27 though.

Michael

Michael Leone wrote:
lists said:

PHP has nothing to do with .htaccess.  I am using PHP though.

Yes, I know. My point was that it might be a bug in the interaction
between Apache 2.0 and some of it's modules. I only used the bug in the
interaction between Apache and PHP as an example.

Michael

Paul wrote:
What does PHP
have to do with .htaccess?  Just focus on Apache.  Maybe  the
old config files are still there and confusing the new Apache.

lists wrote:

  Anyone and everyone's thoughts or knowledge would
sincerely be  appreciated here...  I installed Apache 2.0.40 along
with MySQL
 3.23.52, PHP 4.2.2, and mod_perl-2 on SuSE 7.3.  Everything seemed
to  work
perfectly.  But, I could not get authentication to work on Apache
2.0.40 using .htaccess files or using the directory method.  I feel
 like I read too much yeaterday in order to get this working.  I
spent  more than 10 hours looking for a reason it wouldn't work,
including  reinstalling/upgrading to Apache 2.0.43 and PHP 4.2.3 (only
because  PHP 2.0.43 is the latest stable release). Apache 2.0.43 made no
 difference in getting authentication to work.  I'm curious if
anyone  has got authentication working on this release.  I think
something has  been changed in mod_auth.  So, knowing that
authentication works using  .htaccess files on Apache 1.3.x, which I
have running on Windows 2000,  I decided to remove Apache 2.0.43 and PHP
4.2.3 and try Apache  1.3.27.  I found that installing Apache
1.3.27 combined with PHP 4.2.3  is flawless and authentication using the
directory method works  perfectly!  What the f*ck!?  I'd like
to kick the sh*t out of someone  for distributing flawed software.
I appreciate the free software,  but, for God's sake, make sure it works
so people aren't spending  hours on end trying to get something to work
that won't.  Clear  documentation based on certain configuration
and usage objectives  would be great too.  The perfect instructions
I found were at the end  of the Install file, but authentication using
the directory method  versus the .htaccess file method is hidden.
I guess since I've been
 into open-source software for less than a year I've got some lessons
learn...seriously.  If it's my fault, which I cannot imagine since
I was able to get authentication working in just minutes using Apache
1.3.27, I retract all of the above negative statements and
apologize.   If not, I think Apache owes everyone a public apology.

General Discussion  --
http://lists.netisland.net/mailman/listinfo/plug