William H. Magill on Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:34:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LBF (Linux Business Forum): Top Arguments FOR and AGAINST using Linux in Business

On Friday, October 18, 2002, at 07:30 PM, Mike Leone wrote:
And I can recall using Win3.1 in 1991/92. And yes, that is longer than
Linux. We were doing desktop publishing of the forms we used in the bank I
worked at back then. And so, in the minds of a business person, Windows
does have a longer history of being productive in a business environment
than Linux.

Linux has only been visible outside the "academic" world since about 97 or 98 -- I forget when Linus appeared on the cover of Forbes. But the point is, prior to that appearance and in a number of similar mainstream (ie NOT technical) publications around the same time, Linux was something that the business community had never heard of, so its history dates from that point in time. Microsoft on the other hand had by then been around for years on the IBM PC, and Bill Gates was well known for pushing Warren Buffet out of the top slot on the Forbes 400. This guy Linus wasn't even an American.

And the important thing to remember here -- Management does not distinguish between DOS, Win3.x, NT and XP as far as history is concerned. To them they are all simply "Microsoft Operating Systems." And they are each as cryptic as the other. The only one they have taken notice of as "different" is XP... and that, solely because of the new licensing scheme.

I forget the year I first met Linus, but it was at DECUS in New Orleans (or was it Cincinnati) on a Riverboat in tow by Maddog, but I believe that was back in the 1980s and VMS on VAX was still king.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org