Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:50:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] new, old computer

> You may have an issue booting directly from the CDROM. Some of the older
> bios' don't support 2.88MB floppies. (I forget off-hand if 7.2 uses such
> an image. I do know that 8.0 does.)
>
> You'll either need to build a boot floppy, there are a few images on the
> CD, or rebuild the ISO using one of those images as the boot image.

Also, some of the crappier, ancient bioses don't support booting from
cdrom at all. For these cases try the smart boot manager. My old compaq
works great, it can now boot cdroms, and I kept the old hard drive in
place for booting purposes, only. I can't seem to get it to recognize a
bigger hard drive when booting, but once I get to the first hard drive,
I can boot from the second.

Fred