Sijian Zhou on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:10:05 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Trouble to read file using old computer/cdrom

>> I checked /var/log/messages.1. There are something
>> like these:
>> Oct 19 15:17:25 linuxserver1 kernel: hdd: command
>> error: status=3D0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
Error }
>> Oct 19 15:17:25 linuxserver1 kernel: hdd: command
>> error: error=3D0x54
>> Oct 19 15:17:25 linuxserver1 kernel:
>> isofs_read_level3_size: More than 100 file sections
>> ?|?, aborting...
>> If this message is related to my problem, looks to
>> me this is kernel problem. Not my hardware problem.
>> How do I find out if I have misconfiguration
problem?
>> I installed my RedHat 7.3 without file system
problem.
>> -- Sijian Zhou

>Try enabling/disabling DMA on the drive (with hdparm
>or one of those) - whenever I've seen that message,
>it's either a failing drive or a DMA mismatch.  It
>may be that the drive wants to use DMA (probably,
>since it's 52x) and it's not enabled for the drive.
>Look at dmesg, and see if it says the drive uses
>DMA.  You should see something like:
>hdc: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)

>HTH,
>Steve

I checked BIOS' Integrated Peripherals setting for
UDMA. All 4 items of IDE setting are 'Auto'. There are
only 2 choices: 'Auto' and 'Disable'.
I also checked /var/log/dmesg file. The file display
after reboot is:
hdd: ATAPI 52X CD-ROM drive. 120kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
hdd: DMA disabled
I checked CD-ROM manual. There is no jump I can set
physically for DMA. Since BIOS does have UDMA setting,
I assume the mother board supports enabled DMA(?).

Since I have never been able to re-compile/re-install
kernel successfully, what other options do I have to
fix this problem?

Sijian Zhou