gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:20:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] New to the Linux world.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 08:33:51AM -0500, Mike Bellerue wrote:
> The first NIC I put in works just fine. It was all set up for me
> and everything. I put the 2nd NIC in and eth0 switched over to
> using that NIC. Pretty strange but my brother said that it probably
> had something to do with the two NICs being the same.

Not at all. It's because the second NIC was detected first by the
kernel during boot, probably because it grabbed a lower IRQ number
(presuming it's PnP).

> then I put in a NIC that's totally different from the first two
> that I used. eth0 stays with the 2nd NIC which is good, but the
> 3rd NIC doesn't get assigned to eth1. Any ideas?

Have you done an explicit ifconfig eth1? What about ifconfig -a?
On Linux, ifconfig, without arguments, won't show unplumbed
interfaces.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net