William H. Magill on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:31:24 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Solaris For Students

On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 05:46 PM, Naresh wrote:
Is it true that you can obtain a educational version of Sun's UNIX? If its
true where can I get it? (I searched sun.com and google but could not find
an answer).

There is no "educational version" of Solaris or SUNos.
Solaris has "educational licenses" available to Educational Institutions, ie schools, not individuals.

To get one contact your local Sun Account rep (not a VAR) fill out the paperwork and pay for it. This is a Right to Use and Right to New Version license. Media and documentation require a separate fee. It's "tiered" pricing and you can get what ever level of "stuff" you want to pay for. On the whole, it is quite cheap when compared to commercial licensing and support contracts.

If you are asking is there a "free," "Personal license" available -- None that I am aware of.

Compaq's Tru64 Unix has a "non-commercial" "hobbiest" license available for $100.
This is a binary distribution for alphas.

Note that neither Sun nor Compaq (and I presume all of the other Unix vendors as well) offer source code "for free." To start with, since they are all licensed and cross-licensed products involved, you need to come up with all of the appropriate licenses or pay for them yourself. The two primary licenses are the old ATT Unix license or the new Xopen license. It gets to be fun.

For example - Solaris has imbedded code in it from Veritas for the file system.

One final note, if you are a student at a "legitimate" school, they probably already have a "site license" from Sun. You need to talk to your local sysadms on campus. Keep in mind that "State schools" or the Public School system are governed by very different laws and rules for contracting, and as such probably do NOT have an "educational license" but rather a negotiated government contract.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org