William H. Magill on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:00:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 03:46 PM, Michael Leone wrote:
If the US Gov't
can't successfully sue M$ for being an illegal monopoly - then I don't
know how a business is going to sue them - or anyone else. Plus, there

Possibly because you're not suing them for illegal practices, but rather
breach of support? Providing a defective product, more likely. Beats me; I
don't plan to sue anybody.

There is a very big difference between "successfully" suing someone, and simply suing someone!

"Breech of contract" is the normal "suit" term. However, it is never something which is intended to accomplish anything other than to get the Vendor's attention.

There is a MAJOR difference between having your lawyer call up their lawyer and threaten to sue unless some thing is made good, and actually filing the paper work and spending the time and mega-dollars in court.

While lots of Management people constantly use the "we can sue them" line, very few if any of them have ever EVER talked to their corporate attorney about filing a suit. They are as ignorant of the Legal Process as they are of Technology. And I won't even get into the difference between a criminal proceeding - the Government suing Microsoft - and a civil proceeding - your boss suing some hardware/software vendor
(or VAR).

The simple answer (some might say, the cynical answer) -- 99% of law suits filed are never intended to "go to trial." Every lawyer expects to "settle" the dispute long before it gets to trial. Even when there is "in-house counsel" involved and "supposedly" doing all the work, the lawyers involved in the suit will make at least twice as much as the plaintiff. And if you don't have salaried counsel, then it's guaranteed that they will make far more than you will ever recover.

Sadly, pointy haired managers think they can sue everybody all the time and win.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org