Paul on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 00:50:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

I bought a car in 1998 with a manual transmission. The automatic transmission was an option, but all of the cars on the lot had that option installed, so I ordered my car. I just thought it would be fun to have.

Touch tone service costs me an extra one or two dollars per month while pulse dialing is a free option on modern phones. I'm just glad I don't have to *dial* with a rotory dial!

It's just like the Automatic Transmission in a car. Not that long ago (1980s), an "automatic" was a "feature" and cost more -- just like touch-tone telephones -- now if you want a Manual transmission, you have to pay more for it, and it actually REDUCES the resale value of the vehicle because it seriously cuts down on the number of people who are able to drive it!