Michael C. Toren on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:38:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DNS Problem Now

> But while hop-counts in and of themselves are not a significant issue,
> the fact is that they put that many more places for congestion to occur
> between you and your destination... and the current IP default is 30
> hops! (It used to be 10.)

I think you'll find that the great majority of TCP/IP stacks out there
are sending packets with a TTL of either 64 or 128.  Many traceroute
implementations use 30 as the default maximum number of hops, but that
has nothing to do with normal operation.

(Incidentally, the default TTL for outgoing packets on a linux box can
be modified by writing to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_default_ttl.)

-mct