gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:10:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DNS Problem Now

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 10:58:27PM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
> Bill's traceroute points out a problem that I see more and more
> frequently all around the net these days... INCREDIBLY HUGE hop-counts.
> Hop-counts have been steadily increasing around the net for years, so
> this kind of hop-count is actually pretty "normal" these days. But
> while hop-counts in and of themselves are not a significant issue, the
> fact is that they put that many more places for congestion to occur
> between you and your destination...

"Hop-count" is essentially meaningless. All it means is that there's
more hardware that decrements TTL between you and the remote host;
it doesn't necessarily mean that that transit will be slower. You
see increased hop counts because Tier 1 providers are using more and
more edge routing hardware that decrements the TTL. That all
*should* be connected with fibre going way faster than you and the
whole neighborhood could possibly saturate with a cable modem (the
constriction is *far* more likely to be where all those cable lines
come together to get back to the provider).

That said, there've been some telco problems lately (heard of
Worldcom? Not to mention the Qwest fiasco several months ago in
Europe).

And, in any case, Bill's hops to Paul's DNSes are pretty irrelevant;
the chances of Bill having to do a DNS lookup against them in the
normal course of operations is extremely slim... that's what the D
in DNS tries to avoid.

> and the current IP default is 30 hops! (It used to be 10.)

Huh? You mean traceroute(8)'s default? What bearing has that on
networking?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net