Adam Turoff on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:30:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Solaris For Students

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:03:28AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> I think the x86 version was free for personal use.

I think single use licenses on single CPU machines are free for
individual.  That is, you are encouraged to run Solaris on x86 or SPARC
if it's just for youon any old single CPU workstation.

This doesn't apply to businesses, who use Solaris on many machines,
especially multi-CPU SPARC boxes (and are Sun's biggest customer base).

Sun also made the source code for the single CPU version of Solaris a
few years back.

Both products (SPARC/x86 binaries and the source) are available
for a nominal media fee.  At least, I remember this being the case as of
a few years ago.  (circa 1999)

Z.