gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:20:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Solaris For Students

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:06:16PM -0400, Adam Turoff wrote:
> Sun also made the source code for the single CPU version of Solaris a
> few years back.

... and took it back again about six or eight months ago. And never
provided a build system. And only through leaks from company
employees (never from any official channel) did it become apparent
that it was necessary to use (version numbers may be wrong, it's
been a while since I thought about it) Workshop 4 to build some
portions of the code and Workshop 5 to build other portions (both
for the Solaris 8 and 9 source).

> Both products (SPARC/x86 binaries and the source) are available
> for a nominal media fee.  At least, I remember this being the case as of
> a few years ago.  (circa 1999)

It's not any more, to the best of my knowledge. (But it was free as
long as you were willing to wait for the download.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net