gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:30:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Solaris For Students

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:18:01PM -0400, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> if you want it, let me know. i tried to install it on my dual P3 but it
> failed horribly.

So far as I know, Solaris x86 doesn't do SMP, which would be the
beginning of your problems. Probably doesn't even know how to talk
to a BIOS that wants to present multiple CPUs.

As well, its device support has never been particularly varied.

If you're loopy enough to use Solaris x86 in production (Just use
Linux! Red Hat on IA32 is easier to maintain than Solaris on
sparc64, even considering NFS and NIS oddities between the two,
which are largely historical anyway!), get it from a vendor who's
certified software and hardware together. (I'm aware of no specific
names, but I seem to recall such exist. Though probably not for
long, what with Sun moving to release a Linux distro.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net