Bill Jonas on Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:16:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] No Movie Player in RedHat 8

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 09:21:14AM -0600, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> I liked progeny's debian when I tried it way way back - on my desktop box
> - but it didn't handle my cd-rw and usb stuff very well, so it didn't last
> that long on my box. I've always wanted to try one of the newer versions,
> but never have the spare hours.

You might want to try PGI, the Progeny Graphical Installer, sometime if
you feel like giving Debian another shot.  It's based on the installer
used in Progeny's distribution, back when it existed.  It's currently
being worked on and will likely be the default install program once it's
ready.  It handles more configuration stuff than do the boot-floppies.
It's still beta but seems to work fine on i386; you don't even reboot,
which I find interesting (it must use the two-kernel monte or some
such).  (I can't speak as to debian-installer, the replacement for
boot-floppies, as I haven't used it; I'm not even sure if it's in a
usable state yet.)

Anyway, if you have a spare machine or partition, you might want to give
it a shot and see whether or not you like it and whether or not it does
what you want.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin