Paul.L.Snyder on Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:00:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] bin extension

On 24-Oct-2002, "William H. Magill" <magill@mcgillsociety.org> wrote:

>On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 12:21 PM, Frodo Williams wrote:
>> I've just downloaded an xml tool, treebeard, and now have a file with
>> a .bin extension, MIME type application/octet.  I have chmod' the file
>> to 777, and yet I can still can not get this file to run.
>>
>> What do I need to get this working, or, as an alternative, can someone
>> recommend a good xml/xslt editor/ide.
>
>Are you certain that it is an executable? And for what hardware
>architecture?
>
>".bin" extensions are frequently used on Stuffit Archives and launch
>the application "stuffit expander" (on Mac and PC) which in turn
>unpacks the particular stuffit archive into a directory which contains
>the actual executable.

.bin is also often used to flag a file as binary, as opposed to text - it
will tend to keep web browsers from munging the file when it is
downloaded, and will usually force a download - the browser knows that it
shouldn't try to display it.  application/octet-stream is a generic MIME
type for binary files - it doesn't tell you anything about what the file
may be.

Looking at the website for Treebeard, http://treebeard.sourceforge.net/,
it looks like it's a Java app.  Looking at the download page, there's a
treebeard_v06_linux.bin, which is probably what the poster downloaded.

Have you, as someone else suggested, tried simply running
./treebeard_v06_linux.bin when in the same directory as the file?

As far as other editors, the treebeard home page references a couple of
IDEs, including http://www.jedit.org and http://www.netbeans.org.

HTH,
pls