Arthur S. Alexion on Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:00:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] absurdity bordering on hilarity from redmond

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 07:44 pm, sean finney wrote:
> this was posted by a friend on the s(warthmore)lug mailing list.  i
> wasn't sure whether to laugh or tear out my hair when i read it...
>
> http://newsvac.newsforge.com/newsvac/02/10/23/1247236.shtml?tid=4
>
> --sean

Well, at first I thought it was a hoax.  Adam Smith published "Wealth
of Nations" in 1776.  The book is revered as the first major treatise
on capitalism, and its author is revered as the "Karl Marx of
Capitalism" (funny how the latter name is better known than the
former).  Lots of pro-market extremists use "Adam Smith" as a
pseudonym.  For that reason, I didn't think it was real.  However, sure
enough, a real guy named Adam Smith represents the 9th Congressional
District of Washington.