Arthur S. Alexion on Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:50:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Accessing ext(x) filesystems from windows

On Monday 28 October 2002 02:45 pm, Michael Leone wrote:
> gabriel rosenkoetter said:
> > On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 06:10:06PM -0500, Martin DiViaio wrote:
> >> EXT3 is EXACTLY the same as EXT2 except that journaling is turned
> >> on. You can use any of the EXT2 tools available to read the
> >> partition without any problems. (You can even do it under Linux.)
> >
> > How does that help Arthur access either kind of partition from
> > MS Windows?
>
> Possible because there is a EXT2 driver available for Windows, but no
> EXT3 driver. But the EXT2 driver should let him read his EXT3 disk,
> presuming that it's readable as a standard EXT2 disk, I imagine.

OK, this is all quite helpful because here is what I am trying to
accomplish.

On the windows partition, I have a "Documents" (why do all of these
companies -- not just MS -- keep prepending "My" to everything?  Its so
juvenile.) directory which I use like my unix home directory.  I want
to be able to access these file no matter which OS I use.

I could just use my windows Documents directory whether in unix or
windows (I've placed a symlink to it in my unix home directory), but my
instincts tell me that is a bad idea.

So, when working in Linux, I save to my home directory, and when
working in windows, I save to my Documents directory.  I want to make
access to files created in the other OS as easy when working in windows
as it is in Linux.

What i've learned is that the read-only limitation of the ext2fs.exe
utility is probably for the best since writing to it while under
windows could jeopardize the journalling safeguards.

----

One remaining question.  Has anyone used ext2fs.exe?  It claims to only
work under win95, not 98.  There is a broken link to a win98 version.
I have the later release of win95 with fat32 (which is the win98 file
system).  Any thoughts or experiences?