William H. Magill on Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:20:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Darwin Question

On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 09:54 AM, christophe barbe wrote:
On the same topic. I have recently bought a TiBook and it comes with a
ATI radeon M7 graphic chip. Linux runs perfectly on it except that
nobody knows how to suspend/resume the ATI chip. I have read that there
are binary only ATI drivers in the last darwin release. Am I right in
assuming that the suspend/resume code must be in this binary or It is in
the Aqua code? Also is the API used by this binary driver well known?

Yes and no. I believe that the TiBook uses the ATI 7500 Mobility Radeon chip.

See ATI's response:

http://www.ati.com:80/support/products/pc/laptops/index.html
and
http://www.ati.com:80/support/products/pc/motherboards/index.html
and
http://www.ati.com:80/support/infobase/3505.html

The info on their linux (Xfree86) support is here: (a wrapped URL.)
http://www.ati.com/support/faq/ linux.html?cboOS=LinuxXFree86&cboProducts=NOT+SURE&eula=&choice=agree&cm dNext=Next

If that link doesn't work go to:
http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

select Operating System: Linux/xFree86
       Product name:   Not Sure
click accept on the blank license agreement field
then click next.

There is a PDF document which describes which versions and which distributions support what.
However, sadly it appears that support is limited to WinTel platforms. Unless there is another document for PowerPC.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org