Eric S. Raymond on Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:20:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] RedHat 8.0 Installer

Martin DiViaio <scatterbrained@usermail.com>:
> Eric Raymond's post about the CDROM driver being flaky is what I think is
> happening here. When I check the other TTYs after it crashes, there are a
> number of errors about problems with the CDROM.

Yes, I've seen those too.  But I'm now thinking I may have been
confused by similar symptoms from two independent failures, one
driver-level on my main box (where I saw the CD-ROM failures)
and one in Anaconda on my laptop.

Reason? I did an install (as opposed to upgrade) on the laptop.
It worked like a charm.  Go figure...