LeRoy Cressy on Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:00:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Problems w/SMTP on Verizon DSL, none on Comcast Cable?

It all depends on where you are connected to Comcast. For instance my mother is on the Coatsville PA cable and they block smtp, ssh, html, and a lot of other ports. I cannot use the standard ssh port 22 to log on remotely to my mothers network. But other locations like Westchester is open for ssh remote login.

Personally, I would not use Verizon DSL, when there are others that are willing to give you a static IP and do not block anything. DCA, Direct, and others are very accomindating to the Linux/BSD communities.