Bill Jonas on Fri, 1 Nov 2002 22:30:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mobo angst

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 09:45:51PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Is there something I'm missing, or is it really just sort of a crap
> shoot each time, make sure you can return stuff, etc.?

Well, it seems like Linux will *usually* Just Work on a motherboard.  (I
see some exceptions listed on that page, though.) That said, there are
some things to watch out for; I've heard ill spoken of Via chipsets, for
example (but I haven't (yet, anyway) experienced any data loss with mine
in a year and half (only heard about the problems after I made my
purchase)).

Of course, support for some of the integrated peripherals might not be
there, but that's another story.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin