Jarvis, John on Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:40:05 -0500

RE: [PLUG] full graphical web browsing from the console (without X)

Found any tricks to copy and paste between consoles into the web browser?
Of course normal gpm copy and pasting doesn't work :(

-John

-----Original Message-----
From: Darxus@chaosreigns.com [mailto:Darxus@chaosreigns.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 1:48 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] full graphical web browsing from the console (without X)

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/

debian packages:  ftp://yikes.tolna.net/pub/linux/release/debian/

I've done:  alias links='links -driver fb -g'

You need to be using kernel framebuffer support.  If you have a penguin or
something in the upper left hand corner during bootup, you're already
using fb.  Kernel config examples from 2.4.19:

Code maturity level options
  [*] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers
Console drivers
  Frame-buffer support
    [*] Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL)
      [*]   VESA VGA graphics console

Then in lilo.conf do something like "vga=0x317".

The long version:  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO.html

It also works via svgalib if you prefer to use that instead.

I've seen a couple other fairly broken attempts at hacking image support
into text browsers.  This is *full* graphical browsing, and pretty,
and acceptable, and I will not be running X much any more because of it
(graphical browsing was about the only reason I still had X running most
of the time).

And it's really fast.

--
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
 - Emiliano Zapata, Mexican Revolution Leader