Bill Jonas on Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:20:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Which distro for non-intel machines

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 03:47:00PM -0500, Bradley Molnar wrote:
> This is an odd question, but, here it goes.  In an effort to have a
> reasonably up-to-date version of something on some alpha and sparc machines,
> I have decided to ask the group for what people think is a good distro that
> is kept up to date and will also (most likely) continue to support both the
> alpha and sparc platforms.

<cheerleading>Debian, of course!</cheerleading>

In all seriousness, they support something like 11 architectures in the
latest stable release, including sparc and alpha.

If you want the *ultimate* in portability and are okay with not-Linux,
NetBSD supports a ridiculously large number of platforms.  From the 1.6
release notes, it looks like it supports "fifty two different system
architectures featuring seventeen machine architectures across eleven
distinct CPU families," and 1.6 has a complete binary release for 39 of
those 52.

Hmm... considering the quote, I wonder how many architectures the 11
that Debian supports would translate to in NetBSD-speak. ;)

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin