gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:10:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Which distro for non-intel machines

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 04:07:10PM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> If you want the *ultimate* in portability and are okay with not-Linux,
> NetBSD supports a ridiculously large number of platforms.  From the 1.6
> release notes, it looks like it supports "fifty two different system
> architectures featuring seventeen machine architectures across eleven
> distinct CPU families," and 1.6 has a complete binary release for 39 of
> those 52.
>
> Hmm... considering the quote, I wonder how many architectures the 11
> that Debian supports would translate to in NetBSD-speak. ;)

Debian supports 11 *machine* architectures, of which NetBSD supports
17. (Didn't we have this conversation a month ago on IRC? ;^>)

"CPU families" groups, for instance, the sparc and sparc64 together
(if Debian does this, then it means you aren't and can't run 64-bit
code reliably), it also groups RS6000s with the PowerPC chips used
in Macs (NetBSD supports both of those, though with a separate of
the 52--both includued in the 39--system architectures... I know
Debian supports the latter, but I don't know that it supports the
former).

Also, note that some system architecutres like "macppc" are a bit
problematic. There are PowerPC macs that lack OpenFirmware; NetBSD
can't boot on those, though I think that Debian should be able to,
by way of code from either MkLinux or LinuxPPC (hopefully the
latter). NetBSD's port is more generally called ofwppc, which is
counted as a separate of the 52, as it does boot, by itself, on some
reference platform boards. The macppc port has in-kernel things
specific to Apple's hardware.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net