gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:50:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Which distro for non-intel machines

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 05:53:22PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Debian supports 11 *machine* architectures, of which NetBSD supports
> 17. (Didn't we have this conversation a month ago on IRC? ;^>)

Oh, and I understand from one of the developers that the forthcoming
Debain GNU/NetBSD will support only sparc and i386, due to the
insistence on rebuilding all the GNU tools for it rather than simply
packaging the extant, operational NetBSD userland.

I feel that's poor planning, especially since there's an expressed
interest in supporting both userlands in the long run (get something
working first, then add to it; who cares if you switch the default
to GNU later; it shouldn't matter), but I'm not about to do anything
about it. :^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net