Bill Jonas on Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:50:11 -0500

Re: [PLUG] split & cat

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 08:21:49PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 07:20:18PM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> > (Incidentally, this is why you can say something like 'ren *.foo *.bak'
> That's neat, but what happens if your destinations are extant files,
> not ones you're creating, and input doesn't map cleanly to output?

To be honest, I'm not sure.  I can't recall well enough to remember what
happened in DOS, or in Windows 9x.  I tried it on a co-worker's WinXP
machine, though, and it refused to perform the rename, stating that one
of the destination files already existed (I believe the error message
mentioned a "duplicate file name" or the like).  This behavior was the
same in both command.com and cmd.exe.

This construction works equally well with the copy command, BTW.  copy
asked me whether or not to overwrite the file with a "(Yes/No/All)?"
prompt.  (Only tested with cmd.exe as I didn't feel like performing the
experiment again.)

I'm not sure what you mean by input not mapping cleanly to output; care
to elaborate?

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin