William H. Magill on Mon, 4 Nov 2002 23:00:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Which distro for non-intel machines

On Monday, November 4, 2002, at 03:47 PM, Bradley Molnar wrote:
This is an odd question, but, here it goes. In an effort to have a
reasonably up-to-date version of something on some alpha and sparc machines,
I have decided to ask the group for what people think is a good distro that
is kept up to date and will also (most likely) continue to support both the
alpha and sparc platforms.

You are basically out of luck. Neither SPARC nor Alpha being supported (new version ports) into the future unless Sun or HP respectively pays for the ports. I had some fairly in depth discussions about the future of non Intel architectures with the RedHat engineers on Sunday. They basically confirmed what I was previously aware of from other vendors -- both SPARC and Alpha have virtually zero commercial support other than from their vendors. RedHat has no ports planned for either in the future.

On the Alpha, at least at the moment, SuSE has another version in the pipeline. However, even though the Alpha is much more popular in Europe, they currently do not have plans for release next+1.

Personally, I prefer SuSE on my Alpha to RedHat. Probably because they supported it "better" in the past. However, no version of Linux runs "well" on the Alpha, if you are looking for anything other than a bare-bones operating system... sans environment. The biggest problem is the lack of drivers for almost anything.

I don't know the SPARC distribution, but from the way the RedHat guys were laughing, it doesn't sound "well supported" either.

What this means is that in terms of support, you are basically on your own.

By the way, I assume that you are aware of the linuxalpha.org website and the axp mailing list at RedHat.

William H. Magill
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org