Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:10:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Which distro for non-intel machines

Yes, they are. Look at www.kernel.org.

> of non Intel architectures with the RedHat engineers on Sunday. They
> basically confirmed what I was previously aware of from other vendors
> -- both SPARC and Alpha have virtually zero commercial support other
> than from their vendors. RedHat has no ports planned for either in the
> future.

Who cares?

RedHat + Suse != linux

Also, w/ source rpm, you could roll your own new rh distro for any
supporte architecture that linux (the kernel) supports. Rpm source code is
available and can be compiled.

> supported it "better" in the past. However, no version of Linux runs
> "well" on the Alpha, if you are looking for anything other than a
> bare-bones operating system... sans environment. The biggest problem is
> the lack of drivers for almost anything.

???

> What this means is that in terms of support, you are basically on your
> own.

You are definately not on your own.

Fred