Jeff Weisberg on Thu, 7 Nov 2002 20:00:05 +0100

Re: [PLUG] DNS, ceding to another server

| (And clearly, to head off comment, the public purple.com DNS can't
| talk about dog.purple.com, since dog has a 192.168 address...)

clearly?
sorry, I don't see why you can't.

that's how I do it. my public DNS server talks about
eg. odysseus et al., which have 192.168 addresses.

bind 9 has "views" which will let you specify who sees
what, such as an "inside view" and an "outside view".

alternatively, a common practice is to run 2 DNS servers
one for the public and one for internal use.  you would need
to synchronize the 2 zone files manually (or write some perl)

	--jeff