Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:50:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] DNS, ceding to another server

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:44:16PM -0500, Jeff Weisberg wrote:

> | (And clearly, to head off comment, the public purple.com DNS can't
> | talk about dog.purple.com, since dog has a 192.168 address...)
>
> clearly?
> sorry, I don't see why you can't.

You can, but it's not proper etiquette to serve ip's in private ranges
to the outside world, as I understand it.

This is also why I don't do the home.purple.com thing, as
home.purple.com would have to delegate to a 192.168 server.

It sounds like there's no way to do the automatic delegation of a few
names. Do folks have scripts, or does everyone just update manually
when something changes? It just feels like a kludge.

--
 Jeff